Saturday, March 15, 2014

LENT 2014 - DAY 11

Today I attended a memorial service in Portland for my friend who went to be with the Lord the day after her 98th birthday.  It was a beautiful tribute to her, replete with pictures spanning the entirety of her lifetime.  Well done, good and faithful servant.

One of the songs she used to accompany me singing is THE LORD IS MY LIGHT.  It is the song I sang to her as I sat by her bedside on March 1, her 98th birthday, less than 24 hours before she made her final journey.

The Lord is my light and my salvation
Whom then shall I fear?   Whom then shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life.  The Lord is the strength of my life.
Of whom then shall I be afraid?

Though an host of men were arrayed against me,
Yet shall not my heart be afraid
And though there  rose up war against me
Yet shall I put my trust in Him
For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His tabernacle
Yea, in the secret places of His dwelling shall He hide me
And lift me up upon a rock of stone

The Lord is my light and my salvation
Whom then shall I fear?   Whom then shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life.  The Lord is the strength of my life
Of whom then shall I be afraid?

Of whom, then, shall I be afraid?

Just allowing the song to play through m mind I hear the tones of her nimble fingers running over the keys, rising beneath my voice in crescendos to match the intensity of the words.  I hear the piano interlude, I feel her hug following the morning service.  It is straight out of Psalm 27, and Marjorie loved the Psalms.

I am so thankful for the influence of Marjorie in my life - - and so grateful I was able to be there today to share the joy of celebrating her life with her family.

She was one classy lady!  And her influence lives on in the legacy she left, mirrored in each of the lives she touched.

Her pastor read one of the most oft quoted scriptures for memorial services at her service today, Psalm 23:

The Lord is my shepherd.  I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me by still waters.  He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.  Your rod and Your staff they comfort me.   You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil.  My cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the ouse of the LORD forever.

That, too, reflects going back to basics!

Thank you, LORD, for Marjorie!  Be with her family in their  sorrow and flood their lives with memories of joy-filled remembrance.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment