Friday, March 7, 2014

LENT 2014 - DAY 3

2010 was the first year I did a daily blog for Lent.  I repeated that in 2011 and 2012.  Each of those 3 years provided me an amazing spiritual journey.  In 2013 we were gone from January 15 through March 2, and that, along with the drama going on in life precluded my doing it.  I missed it.  I don't expect people to read what I write - though I write knowing someone might.  This year - 2014 - that falls into the "What is that in your hand?" category.   That's what God asked Moses.  All God needs is our willingness.  He wants us to feel inadequate in our own strength.  That is when He can demonstrate His.  All I have to do is offer what I have and trust Him.  

I have been feeling at loose ends.   There are several reasons for that - but suffice to say, I need this spiritual journey desperately.  I need the ballast, the grounding, the wisdom that comes through daily focus and I need the commitment to something that can emerge to be a blessing to others should God choose to use it that way.

Life's circumstances limit what I can do away from home.  So earlier this week I was lamenting all the things I cannot do, and God simply asked me, "What is in your hand?"  The first thing that came to mind was writing.  I don't have to leave home to have an impact on the world - all I have to do is be faithful in the avenues God offers to me.

That extends to giving.  I can give to others who are called to 'go' and it is truly partnering with them.  The lady who inspired me to write is Rosemarie Kowalski.  She and her husband Waldemar are heading to Indonesia as missionaries.  If lots of people give just a little each month, their needs will be met.  It is a ministry I am delighted to share in.

There are several others it gives me joy to help support....a young woman who teaches in China; a young couple in India; a couple in the Dominican Republic; a couple with YWAM in Spain; our local YWAM Yelm base; a missionary who travels to various countries, spending part of his time in schools as a special speaker, making connections - then ministering on weekends where the students can hear the reason for his purpose and passion; a young man who used to be in the youth group I helped lead
who is now ministering through Chi Alpha on college campuses in Seattle.  Each of these people have
to raise their support, and in being part of the support network 'sending' them, I get to go vicariously.

And, most importantly, it extends to prayer.  I pray constantly - - but am negligent in the area of dedicated prayer time.  Part of my journey over the coming weeks is to rectify that failure and to seek God's direction very clearly and specifically for 'right now.'   I need to revise my bucket list.  I need to live intentionally with the intimate awareness that time is brief.  I grew up wanting to make a difference in the world.  I want that still....  My world and area of influence may be small - but God, through His Son, multiplied 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed 5000.  

Lord, take the little I have to offer - what is in my hand - and use it for Your glory!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment