Wednesday, May 17, 2017

DAY 32 – COUNTING TO ASCENSION

WAITING FOR PENTECOST
A TRIBUTE TO PHIL WAYMAN
I have fond memories of a Singspiration I helped coordinate that was held on May 16, 2010.  It was precious.   Reusing my blog entries from 2010 is allowing me an opportunity to relive many special memories gleaned that year.  This is one of those memories!

I didn’t count exactly how many people came, but I think there were about 25 of us, based on the number of chairs set up – but it wasn’t about numbers. It was absolutely beautiful seeing people’s faces. I fought tears all the way through. There was a sweet, sweet presence – and singing the old songs of our faith together was very dear. It is our love language – the songs of faith we sang at our spiritual birth and through our formative years. 

I was very, very tired. I didn’t get enough sleep the night before because the dog awakened me just after 2:30 a m barking vociferously at the coyotes. And – I was poignantly aware that one man I had hoped would be there ‘one more time’ for our Singspiration was not there. Phil Wayman, age 88, who was soon to go be with the Lord, was in Sunday School two weeks prior to that – but his body was giving out – and his spirit was eager to be with the Lord. 

Knowing he was a dying man, he set about to use his final moments on this earth very intentionally. The report this week was that during this past week, he called a man he had tried to lead to the Lord 50 years before. Phil said his piece – told the man this was a message from a dying man – and hung up. His hearing isn’t good, and he couldn’t hear what the other fellow said back. 

About an hour later, the fellow’s brother called to tell Phil that his brother had called him after Phil called, and that he had given his heart to the Lord. What an inspiration. Phil is eager to get to heaven – but he wants to take as many people with him as he can. And what a message of tenacity. He had prayed for the man off and on over the years – and in his declining moments – sharing eternity was on his mind. When Phil steps across the threshold to his eternal reward he will definitely hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” 

We are each called to different ministries, different opportunities. I can’t imagine doing what Phil did – but who knows? I’ve done some pretty bizarre things I suppose – they just didn’t seem like they were bizarre at the time. When I feel the Holy Spirit compel me, I cannot say no….

Even though I was tired, the songs sung in community energized me. It was a beautiful moment – now a shared memory. 


Thank you, Lord, for Christian community. Thank you for voices raised together in heartfelt praise. Where 2 or 3 are gathered together in your name, there you are in the midst of them. Thank you! In our going, help us disciple….

No comments:

Post a Comment