Tuesday, May 23, 2017

DAY 38 – COUNTING TO ASCENSION

MORE THOUGHTS WHILE WE WAIT!
THE ALPHA & THE OMEGA

In 2010 my daughter helped me figure out how to start this blog a few days into the Lenten season, and I promptly decided to use it as a Lenten journey spiritual discipline opportunity.   This year (2017), in reusing the 2010 blog entries, I did some editing – particularly to align dates from those early blog entries – and on days I didn’t write in 2010 I have filled in the blank spaces.  That is especially applicable to the period between Resurrection and Ascension.  I wrote a few entries that year – but did not commit to it being daily.  It is a long time to commit to write something daily!  40 days + the 6 Sundays of Lent; then 40 days from Resurrection to Ascension and another 10 days to Pentecost.  But doing it daily makes it real in a way that cannot be accomplished by any other means. 

That Jesus was alive again and walked on earth for those 40 additional days is compelling.  It couldn’t be passed off as a dream or illusion or fantasy or concoction.  We aren’t told exactly how many times he was seen, or how much time he spent with his disciples – but the evidence is clear.  Before his death I talked about ‘final words’ he shared – but he had multiple opportunities during this period of time to cement those words in their hearts and bolster their courage for standing faithfully through whatever would come in the future. 


He was (and is) the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.  The author and finisher of our faith.  The Great I AM! 

Today is my cousin LaRene's 95th birthday!  I was named after her mother, so feel an extra-special connection to Lola's children!  Happy birthday, cuz!  May God bless your day with many joys!  Wish I could be there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment