Tuesday, March 22, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 12

One thing I can say for certain: it has been far too long since I read Isaiah - and this is the first time I have used Isaiah as my daily devotional reading.

I began the journey through Isaiah before I went to Israel February 2- 11, as preparation. It was the perfect book to read with Israel in mind. It was the basis for my devotional reading while in Israel, and has continued, obviously, since returning. It has been equally compelling reading for the journey toward the cross - and resurrection. Isaiah is packed with the clarity of God's passion for His people. And for us who are His adopted children - and to God, once adopted, you are His child, no longer identified by your adoptee status.

Isaiah 55 is my chapter for today. It brings tears to my eyes, songs to my lips, and a passionate desire to faithfully follow.

(Verse 1)"Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters;...." Just as Jesus taught the Samaritan woman at the well, He is the living water. Come, you who are thirsty - and drink.

(Verse 6) "Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near...."

The verse goes on to proclaim God's heart of compassion, His desire to forgive - if only we turn to Him. His thoughts are higher than man's thoughts. Man gets hung up on what's fair - God is hung up on compassion and forgiveness. We would relegate people to the punishment they deserve. He extends infinite mercy - but not forever. He makes an outlandish offer for forgiveness - but inherent in the message is the warning that He won't always be found - that the time for seeking Him will come to an end. Yet, He declares His Word will not return to Him empty. It will accomplish what He purposes, and succeed in the thing for which He sent it.

That is such a great verse. It is another reminder that God is God and He will accomplish His plan. He lets me partner with Him, and in that I find fulfillment, but as I've said on other occasions - I can either go with Him, or get out of the way. His Word will produce fruit.

And near the end of the chapter is the inspiration for another favorite chorus:

"You shall go out with joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth in singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."

Israel will be restored at the end of time. Her fields will produce - the barren ground will bloom. I was just there. The prophecy is being fulfilled - and this portion of its fulfillment is just a taste of what will be. The growth of plants and trees witness God's faithfulness. When the cypress and myrtle replace the thorns and briers, "it shall make a name for the LORD, an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off." That declaration is how the chapter ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment