Friday, March 11, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 3

MATTHEW 24:4-14
4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come...."

The END OF TIME has been on my mind a lot lately - and the events happening in our world compel me to pay attention. Nation is rising against nation, kingdom against kingdom - and most saliently this morning my focus is drawn to earthquakes. We've had many bad earthquakes over the last several years - and now another in Japan. This one is more personal for me - somehow more real - because we have dear friends there. The initial televised views of total devastation of areas near the coast are awful. The devastation is horrific.

The verses above represent some of the final teaching of Jesus on earth. Matthew 24 is compelling reading....and it was what was on my mind this morning when I awoke.

However, my scheduled chapter for the day was Isaiah 44. More promises from God for His people, Israel, permeate the verses in this chapter - as well as some very wise instruction all can take to heart, and affirmation of who God is - the first and the last, the creator of the heavens and the earth.

That is where I have to place my trust. Though the earth trembles and wars erupt, though economies crumble and everything about us becomes uncertain - my trust is in the Lord. There is no one else to turn to!

No comments:

Post a Comment