Thursday, March 17, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 8

My chapter for today is Isaiah chapter 50. It speaks clearly of the obedient servant - and verses 6 - 8 leap out at me as prophetic (when written) of what Jesus would suffer - - and his determination to see God's will through to completion. Perseverance is an appropriate reminder in this trek toward 'remembering Christ's death'. We forget too easily all He suffered for us prior to His victorious resurrection. We want to hasten past that part and get to Easter Sunday.

But - - Yeshua, the Messiah, was a suffering servant. He calls us to servanthood as well. Being a servant means obedience. It means sacrifice. I like the idea of total commitment to the Lord, but the reality of it when lived out is quite another story. It is far more than submission. I find the heart is willing but the flesh is weak. I grapple. Thank God He understands us, knows us completely, draws us, nudges us, teaches us...forgives us.

I am inspired by others who are faithful followers. The story of St Patrick is a good one for this St Patty's Day.

My daughter, Erin, posted the following on her blog a few days ago. Today is St. Patrick's Day - - so I am sharing this with you today:

Patrick died on March 17th around the year 460 A.D. He was British, and was captured by Irish raiders and sold into slavery at the age of 16. As a slave, he worked as a shepherd and he turned to God to help him through it. I think God used that time to show Patrick that God was his great shepherd, and as Patrick cared for those sheep, he grew in understanding of God's care for him. After 6 years and prompting by God, Patrick escaped Ireland and returned home. He studied to become a priest, then God called him to be a missionary. He returned to Ireland to share the light and love of Jesus Christ. He served as a missionary there for 30 years, brought literacy to Ireland and initiated the Celtic missionary movement, which was a source of missionary zeal and learning. His spiritual descendants moved from Ireland to Scotland, then to England, across the channel into the low countries and finally into central Germany. His example is one of: a deep love of learning, spiritual discipline and missionary zeal.

In the words of St. Patrick,

"I bind to myself today
God's Power to guide me,
God's Might to uphold me,
God's Wisdom to teach me,
God's Eye to watch over me,
God's Ear to hear me,
God's Word to give me speech,
God's Hand to guide me,
God's Way to lie before me,
God's Shield to shelter me,
God's Host to secure me."

As we celebrate Patrick this year by wearing green and eating green foods and dancing some Irish jigs, let's remember that GREEN symbolizes the eternal LIFE we have in Jesus Christ... Thank you Lord! THAT is a reason to celebrate!!!

May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back - and may the grace and peace of Jesus Christ fill you....

No comments:

Post a Comment