Friday, March 18, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 9

My chapter for today is Isaiah 51. I love reading this one in the ESV because of the word parallels and comparisons it illuminates.

V. 1 "Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, you who seek the Lord....
V. 5 "...My righteousness draws near...
V. 6 "...my salvation will be forever, and my righteousness will never be dismayed....

V. 7 "Listen to me, you who know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;
V. 8 "...my righteousness will be forever, and my salvation to all generations."

Tucked into Verse 7 is a reminder that the righteous are not to fear the reproach of man. That, too, is a good reminder for me...and often a hard lesson to follow.

This chapter also includes a favorite chorus, with the following words in it:
Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return
and come with singing unto Zion;
and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads.
They shall obtain gladness and joy,
and sorrow and mourning (sighing) shall flee away.

I love that promise. I know God was speaking directly to Israel - but by extension, there are promises here we can take to heart as well. All believers are grafted in. Still, I love His commitment and promises to His chosen people - and there definitely is a reminder in verse 16 of Israel as God's chosen.

"And I have put my words in your mouth and covered you in the shadow of my hand, establishing the heavens and laying the foundations of the earth, and saying to Zion, 'You are my people.'"

God's love for His chosen oozes through the declarations of this chapter - and I have selected my favorite morsels - but it also speaks clearly to the suffering of discipline His people will be submitted to. And that is a reality in my life as well. God disciplines those He loves.

Thank you, Lord, for Your amazing love - love that sent You to the cross as the sacrificial lamb, paying the debt for my sins; and thank you for Your discipline that draws me into the absolute awareness of being a favored child of Your love. Help me learn the lessons You are seeking to teach me.

P S: I went back and re-read my first 5 days of last year's Lenten blog after I wrote this morning.... I was on a very specific journey immersed in Jesus' life for last year's blog - - and it makes for far better reading.... And - I needed to be reminded of the lessons I was learning, so re-reading it was good for me.

I'm a bit discouraged right now - admittedly too influenced by the opinion of friends I care deeply about - certain of a truth that is painful - but walking on eggshells about confronting the issue.... Just saying - what I am reading is dovetailing with the discipline and conviction I am living.... God's Word never returns to Him void.

No comments:

Post a Comment