Tuesday, March 29, 2011

LENT 2011, Day 18

I lay awake last night anticipating what might be next in Isaiah, eager to awake and read the next chapter. The chapter today is Isaiah 62. I have no idea why - but it brought immediate tears to my eyes. It is a jubilant chapter of what God will do (is beginning to do, already, I believe) for Jerusalem, for Zion, so tears were a surprise response.

The song that leaps to my mind is REDEEMED. "I sing for I cannot keep silent. His love is the theme of my song. Redeemed, redeemed, redeemed by the blood of the lamb...." Indeed, Isaiah 62 begins with the assertions "I will not keep silent" and "I will not be quiet."

What a beautiful chapter showcasing God's intentions for his beloved Zion. And - in verse 8 the declaration of absolute assurance: "The LORD has sworn by his right hand and by his mighty arm" and then it continues to spell out what he is swearing to do for his people. What leaps out to me is his absolute promise. There is no 'if my people' stated, as there was so often in the Old Testament. This is non-negotiable and inviolable.

I also thought of Jesus when I read those words 'The LORD has sworn by his right hand'. It is the designated place of honor for the One who is fully God, fully human...he sits at the right hand of God.

Matthew 26:63-65 (NIV, ©2011)
The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

The same story is related in Mark 14:61-63. Later Mark 16:19 confirms, "After the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, he was taken up into heaven and he sat at the right hand of God."

There are other references - including the witness of Stephen when he was about to be stoned. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 “Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” (Acts 7:55)

This One, who is fully God, who gave His life for our redemption - the perfect lamb -
sits at the right hand of God - and intercedes for us.... My Lord and my God, I am overwhelmed by your incredible mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment