Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 10 SLOT CANYON TRIP: JUNE 2, 2011





This is the day I've been so eager to share. The Wave is in a highly restricted area. The opportunity to go in is limited - and the way you get the opportunity is by lottery. There is a lottery 4 months in advance online - and there is a local lottery at the Paria Visitor Center the day before you get to hike. Each lottery results in 10 people having the opportunity for a given day for a total of 20 people. Of course, I prayed we'd get to go, knowing the odds. The day we entered the lottery, 5 pairs were chosen.

We were one of the lucky pairs! As I stated yesterday, our number was the first one chosen. I thanked God. Al thanked Mother Nature. And - the weather was perfect: warm, but with a little wind, which blew the gnats away! We spent the day exploring the area, not just 'The Wave' and it is definitely one of my new favorite places on this earth!!!!!

I thought what fun God must have had creating it. And - I actually grieved that when this earth is destroyed, it will be destroyed - - then a couple of days later God reminded me that heaven is going to be even better - - that He is preparing a place for us that is far beyond anything we could ask, think or imagine...that the phenomenal colors of 'The Wave' will pale in comparison to the colors and designs God has prepared in the new earth awaiting those who love Him. It gave me a whole new insight into God's creativity.

But - still, while I am here - this will remain a highlight! And - we didn't even know it existed until a few days before.... I love that God's plan and design for our lives is far beyond what we plan - and this day was a gift. We met two lovely young women (sisters) that we spent the day with - and later time with - a joy then, and a memory now that we treasure.

The best theory scientists have promoted is that these are petrified sand dunes.... I don't believe that for a moment. I see them as God having fun! And seeing them was pure joy! It was definitely a perfect day! And I say that, remembering clearly the 6 mile round trip hike up and over hills of sand and slick rock to get there - and the additional couple of miles we hiked while out there...it was A M A Z I N G! What a privilege!

(You can see Al in the center photo, which helps give a bit of size perspective to the area - but photos just don't do justice to the reality!)

The primary difference between pics 1 & 3 is a few clouds.... Obviously I liked the spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment