Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 16 SLOT CANYON TRIP: JUNE 8, 2011, Big Slots





After hiking the 3 canyons in the Harris Wash earlier in the day, we drove back to the Bureau of Land Management Visitor Center at Escalante to ask about some other slot canyons we had heard about - Big Slots - - then we hiked out to explore.

We were the only ones out there. They aren't a common destination. But - the colors were spectacular, even though the other attributes of the canyons didn't hold a candle to the others we had already explored! We hiked up one- then Al took off cross-country. I went up the wash and entered the next slot. After awhile it opened up to an area of spectacular yellows and pinks - then after crossing through that area, there was another slot I hiked through - - and finally found Al, who wanted me to go up high on the sandstone areas to see what he had seen - - but I was just as excited about what I was seeing: stripes and swirls galore! And I wanted him to see what I had seen - so he joined me for the hike back. What an adventure! WE did a LOT of hiking and it is one of the few days my feet actually got tired.... But, it was a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment