Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 15 SLOT CANYON TRIP: JUNE 7, 2011





Day 15 was another perfect day. We camped the night before at The Petrified Forest State Park and early in the morning I got some great pictures of the reservoir filled beyond the brim, as evidenced by the top photo for today. That was just a bonus!

This was the day we got to go to the canyon that was the catalyst for doing this trip, Zebra Canyon. A couple of years before we took a trip to the Southwest that included going to Goblin State Park, where we first heard about slot canyons. We hiked up Little Wild Horse Canyon, then back out another canyon - - and I was hooked!

There was a photo of Zebra Canyon in the Visitor Center at Goblin Valley State Park, and I added going there to my newly-formed 'bucket list.' I was enthralled by the pink stripes in the sandstone! Today was the day!

What I didn't know about Zebra Canyon when I determined to see it for myself someday, was that it is a long hike to a short canyon! It is a 6 mile+ round trip hike through a sandy wash to get to a canyon that is only about 1/4th of a mile long.... There was another couple there when we arrived - taking pictures, of course.... So they are in a lot of my shots - - but after they left I got some without people.... I actually like both. People in pictures provides perspective.

It's obvious how Zebra Canyon got its name! The stripes were wonderful! (If you click on a picture I think it will enlarge so you can see it better!)

No comments:

Post a Comment